According to a recent Which? article those customers who have opted to have their boiler covered under a gas service
contract such as Homecare or British Gas are better without it.
When the monthly payments are added up over the years, many customers are found to have been paying thousands of
pounds to cover their boiler in the event of a breakdown, and if the customers then have a claim then the premiums are increased. The more claims you have the higher the premium, with some customers paying about £70.00 per month,
which when added up over the years could easily pay for a new boiler.
Customers have also been told that parts are no longer available, when in fact they can be easily purchased off the shelf,
or that the boiler is no longer covered because the damage is caused by Iron Oxide Sludge or Scale, so the customer still
has to pay for the repair.
Which suggests that customers and Landlords would be better of paying for repairs as and when needed
A Landlord has been fined £5000 and given a conditional discharge of 2 years.
Dr T. Mahmood failed to service a gas boiler at a flat in Oxford, a gas engineer who had been called to repair the boiler,
refused to work on it and reported it to the Health & Safety Executive. A investigation by the HSE found that the
Landlord had not maintained the boiler or flue for 2 years, exposing the tenants to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Dr Mahmood was found guilty of breaching Regulations 36 (2) a and 36 (2) b and 36 (3) a of The Gas Safety and Use Regulations 1998.
WE RECOMMEND THAT ALL LANDLORDS ENSURE THAT THEIR BOILERS ARE SERVICED ANNUALLY
An elderly couple were taken to hospital by air ambulance after a suspected gas explosion ripped through their home.
John And Sylvia Munro, both in their 70's , were treated for burns after the explosion at their detached house in Ascot,
Berkshire on 23 November. Gas engineers were called in to carry out further investigation. and neighbours were asked
to leave their homes until it is save to return. The HSE is investigating.
The Gas Safety Trust has published a report that reveals older boilers pose a greater risk in relation to
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
More than 2 out of 3 incidents involved older central heating boilers. The biggest problem related to appliances that
have not been serviced annually or have a service contract. This confirms the fact the Gas Boilers should be serviced
every year to keep them safe and efficient, this can be done at the same time as a Gas Safety Check.
The report also highlights that unregistered installers are still a major problem, and consumers should ensure that
they are who they claim to be , before allowing them to carry out gas work.
The Health And Safety Executive have announced new regulations regarding flues in voids after a fatal incident.
If your boiler has a flue system in a ceiling or void and it cannot be inspected to ensure that it is safe , then owners of these
properties will have to fit inspection hatches to enable the gas engineer/installer/inspector to see the flue system and ensure
it is in a safe condition and that it complies with the relevant regulations. These hatches must be 300 mm x 300 mm and should be fitted within 1.5m of any joints, they must be fitted by December 2012, failure to fit this will result in the boiler being
turned off and classified as at risk. In addition Carbon monoxide alarms must be fitted in every room in which the boiler flue passes through , these must be fitted immediately , otherwise the boiler will be switched off and classified as at risk.
This is going to have a massive impact, as we are coming across approx 3 a week. We would suggest that you have hatches
fitted asap, as there will be a mad rush to fit them if you leave it till the deadline. We can arrange for these to be fitted and can also install the CO alarms.
Mr A Azam has been fined £800 and ordered to pay £2000 in costs for failing to ensure the safety of gas fittings and a gas boiler at a property he rented.
The HSE stated that after a earlier disconnection of the gas supply to the property, Mr Azam had it reinstated, without having the recommended repair work carried out. The HSE Inspector said it was fortunate that none of the tenants were harmed,
in what was a dangerous situation.
Honeywell launch new Carbon Monoxide Alarm.
The new H450EN CO alarm is designed to protect families from Carbon Monoxide, it provides safety and peace of mind.
Ideally suited to cover the new regulations concerning gas safety of flues in voids and hidden flue runs, it has 3 led indicators
and offers upto 7 years monitoring . It is fully compliant with the new building regulations.
£23000 FINE FOR ILLEGAL GAS WORKER.
Clive Farrant, 57 used a false registration number in adverts and paperwork whilst trading as Essex Plumbing Connection.
The Health and Safety Executive found that he had carried out gas work in the Chelmsford Area between July 2006 and June 2009 and left them in a dangerous condition. He also instructed another unregistered gas fitter to carry out work in Hampshire, Chelmsford and Tadley. The HSE has warned all customers to check gas fitters are on the Gas Safe Register before
A Landlord who left a tenant without heating for 2 years has been given a 6 month prison sentence (suspended) and ordered
to pay £30,000 in costs. Steven James Boote, was found guilty of breaching gas safety regulations by not providing gas
safety records , and failing to maintain the gas appliances despite warnings from the Health and Safety Executive.
The HSE said all he seemed to care about was money.